I hope that you are all having a great Winter Break! ……and a productive one of course 🙂
I wanted to remind everyone that when we return from Winter Break we will be getting work ready for the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards, the deadline this year is January 7th. We can only send ten works of art per art teacher in grades 7-12. I would like for all of you that are interested in making a submission to upload the images to DropBox that you are proposing to represent our school. Each of you can upload up to three proposals. Please name your file properly, for example, p4_Girardello_M_ScholasticEntry_1of3. Do not put your images in a separate folder.
Work must be uploaded to DropBox by Monday, January 5th in order to be considered. We will be reviewing all proposals and letting you know if you will be submitting work by Tuesday, January 6th.
Attentions Seniors: There is not a cap on the number of Senior Portfolios we may submit, and each senior may upload up to two portfolios! I would like for every senior to submit at least one portfolio. You must also upload your images to DropBox by Monday, January 5th, so that I may review your work with you before submitting. Along with the images you must have a word document of your Artist Statement uploaded as well. Please make a folder in DropBox for each senior. Guidelines can be found below and also on the Scholastic website.
“Since 1923, the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards have recognized the vision, ingenuity, and talent of our nation’s youth, and provided opportunities for creative teens to be celebrated. Each year, increasing numbers of teens participate in the program, and become a part of our community–-young artists and writers, filmmakers and photographers, poets, and sculptors, along with countless educators who support and encourage the creative process.” –taken from website
(For Graduating Seniors Only)
Art portfolios must include 8 different artworks. The works can come from one category or any combination of multiple categories listed on this page. Seniors may submit up to two Art Portfolios, but may not submit the same work in both portfolios.
Video Game and Future New Submissions may not be submitted as part of an Art Portfolio.
• In addition to the artwork, students must submit a 300 – 750 word Artist Statement answer the following questions:
• Why did you select the work you submitted for your Art Portfolio?
• How do you hope people will react when they view your work?
• What role does art play in your life?
• Artist statements may be entered on the “Create Portfolio” page.
• Work included in a portfolio may be submitted in an individual category (i.e. Drawing and Illustration, Mixed Media, etc.). You will be able to indicate if you want to submit a work a part of a portfolio only, and an individual submission only, or both on your student dashboard.
• Seniors may resubmit artworks submitted in a previous Scholastic Awards competition as part of their Art Portfolio.
Each work within the Art Portfolio is subject to the same upload rules as its equivalent in individual categories. For example, a sculpture entry as part of a portfolio is allowed up to four images, while a photography entry is allowed one image.
If you are not familiar with the Scholastic Awards, or would just like to review, please familiarize yourself with the following links.
Regional Guidelines: https://www.artandwriting.org/Affiliate/FL002A